Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Faces of a Princess

Note: included are examples of my expressive faces that I used to communicate with my family during a trip to the zoo that I wrote about previously.

I have often received comments on my face. I mean, of course I do: look at it, it's adorable.

"Hey, Daddy! Look how cute me and my toes are!"

But more than just my impeccable looks, I receive remarks on the expressions I can do with those flawless features. My subjects will tell my parents (as if they do not already know) how I look concerned or happy or confused or upset or any other number of emotions. My parents, however, are able to translate what I am saying much more effectively. 

"Why are you photographing me when you should be worshiping me?"
or
"I thought you said this would be fun."
I don't remember which thought I was having at that particular moment.

They act as if this is some strange ability I have. It may be extraordinary, but so am I. 

"I thought you said we would see animals here. I have only seen more doting subjects. Being a princess is hard, sometimes."
Yes, all of that can be expressed through a singular look.

Yet I see this as part of my duties as a princess. My Mommy taught me this by reading to me from a story called "The Princess and the Frog," (although, admittedly, I have been utilizing this talent long before she read this to me) which is about some fictitious princess who attempted to hide from her parents her odd relationship with a frog who ends up having ulterior motives, "princesses never lie." So I never bother to cover up how I feel. And, typically, the reason why I am so expressive is that I feel like my parents don't feel like they know what they are doing raising me. They do not need to worry, I am doing most of the work.

"You people paid good money to come here? Money you could have spent on me??"

I was born proficient at nonverbal communication, and have always found it more effective than verbal. Yesterday, for example, we went to a bookstore, which, in case you do not know, is a cramped little place that smells old and is packed full of books without pictures that are thus unreadable. Mommy and Daddy loved it, and told me that I would love it as well some day. I verbally disagreed, so they shoved a pacifier in my mouth. I'm not complaining about the pacifier, it was delightful, I just mean to say that the King and Queen tend to win verbal disagreements without saying much.

"Can we go now? This bores me."

And so I use my face to express how I feel, and I do so in a blunt way.

"We traveled all this way just for me to play with my toes. I could be doing the same thing in a nice air-conditioned palace."

Perhaps one day I will be as good of a verbal communicator as my Mommy and Daddy. I must admit, it may be my only flaw. No, I do not believe it is my flaw, I'm flawless, I believe that everyone just fails to understand my well conceived and delivered arguments. 

"Can I have a drink from your bottle?"

So while I wait for all of you to mature to the point of understanding my verbal statements which appear to just go over your heads, I will continue utilizing my God-given talent of facial expressions to get my way. Because my way is the only way that matters, right?


"Oh, thank you for the new toy, Daddy!"

Thank you for agreeing.

Love,
Princess Ellie
Nearly 5 months


No comments:

Post a Comment