Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Working on Walking

I know the next stage in my progression to be more like my sister is walking, but it is a difficult process. For a long time now I have had the ability to stand as she stands; yet I have not accomplished the task of taking a step. I practice - oh, how I practice: I hold hands with others (including cousins who seem unqualified to teach walking), I hold onto my walker and push it around, I walk along the side of furniture, and I will even walk holding onto one of my parents with one hand. Still I cannot take that step. I will stand and focus, but as soon as one foot dares to attempt leaving the ground, I fall. I have even tried pointing at my foot and telling it "Foot, I command you to be moved forward to this point" and point to its new location, and I still fall. No matter how much my parents encourage me and call to me with hands outstretched I continue to find the ability to walk, like their warm embrace, sadly out of reach. Until that joyous day, I will continue to utilize the walking ability of others and refuse to be vanquished.

No comments:

Post a Comment